I know low-carbohydrate diets work for some people (even though most gain weight as soon as they re-introduce carbs to their diets), but for various reasons, it just doesn’t work so well for me. Here are my non-nutritionist/non-dietitian thoughts…
- I crave what I can’t have. I’m like a 4 year-old. When something’s off-limits, I want it more than ever. I tried the South Beach Diet back in the day. I think I made it 4 of the first 14 days of the plan. Fail.
- It is expensive. Did anyone else notice how low-carb diets fizzled when the recession hit? Steaks, fresh veggies, and plain Greek yogurt are not cheap. Brown rice, lentils, and sweet potatoes are budget friendly!
- Long-term low-carb diets *might* harm organs. I read this somewhere and cannot find the source to back up my claims. Nevertheless, I can see how organs would feel the strain after time. I think the biggest hit are the kidneys and brain, but many sources claim low-carb diets are totally healthy. This Mayo Clinic nutritionist says the diet is for short-term use only.
- Carbs have fiber and a little protein. – Prime examples include tempeh, oats, and beans. These can help you feel satisfied and keep you full.
- I like carbohydrates. Weight loss (or maintenance) shouldn’t be torture; it should be manageable and sustainable. If you just loooooove chocolate and ice cream, don’t give up sweets. If you loooooove salty foods, make healthy alternatives. When you nix the things you really enjoy, you’re setting yourself up for failure. I don’t like failing, so I don’t give up carbs.
To prove my carb love, here is a picture of last night’s dinner.
I prefer more balanced meals, but given my current kitchen constraints, this is all I attempted. [We’ve had no water in the kitchen (including dishwasher) since Thursday. The installation of the new counter tops this past Friday required us to cut off the water until we can get a plumber out here.]
What do you think of low-carb diets? Do they work for you? Have you tried other diet crazes?
On a side note… ’twas the last day for nude pumps, which is sad. Methinks it’s time for boot season though, which is glorious!